Fire by hand drill

Fire by hand drill

Wednesday 30 March 2011

The knife I used as a boy

Hello,

Myself and a friend were chatting about what we used to use for bushcraft when we were young lads.

This is of course before the "you must have a good knife to be a bushcrafter" mentality set in.

Persoanlly I had a rambo type survival knife which myself and my brother got for christmas.

I cant remember but it was a mass production job with a tang  that appeared to be a screw welded to the blade.

However the amount of fun I had with it far outweighs the quality. It was pressed into service as a survival knife, spear, throwing knife, hammer, pry bar and lots more and never failed.

Amazing what you can get away with when you dont know that your knife is 'inferior'

Unfortunatly I left it stuck in a tree in the rain for a few months and it rusted to nothing.

(image borrowed from hamamori.com)


I then moved onto this scout knife which I still have. I got it on the isle of Man. It is carbon steel with a smaller handle for a boys hand.
Not sure who made it,, but it is marked sheffeild. I like to use it now and again to get all nostalgic and misty eyed.

I got so attached to it that when my brother threw it at a tree and it bounced off and went in the river i dived in after it without hesitation, nearly drowning in the process. Still it has alot of memories and hopefully I will pass it onto my kids some day.

Great little knife.

3 comments:

outdoorni said...

Nice nostalgic story!

http://outdoorni.blogspot.com/

Gorges Smythe said...

I HATE to say this, but one of the best knives I've ever had was a $4 folder from Kmart that was made in China. It's dressed out several deer and squirrels and I've still got it. It really haolds an edge, even though it looks as cheap as it was.

Mark said...

i had the exact same Rambo knife wheni was a kid, albeit it was Black and therefore "special ops", uysed to love it, even used to walk downthe street with it on my side and nobody bated an eyelid - how times have changed.

Then like you i went onto a scout knife like yours, although mine was more of a Bowie style blade, stil have mine as well, btw mine was made by A Wright & Son.