Fire by hand drill

Fire by hand drill

Friday 18 November 2011

The Victorinox Forester folding knife.




The Victorinox Forester folding knife.

I bought this a few years ago and have carried it with me ever since during work hours.

The knife features a large locking blade. There is also a saw, screw driver, can opener and awl. There is the usual tooth pick and tweezers within the handle too.

The knife is comfortable in the hand and has a good strong lock.

The blade of the knife, which is stainless steel, is quite thick and has the typical Swiss army knife bevel. It is straightforward to sharpen on a DC3 and can be quickly brought up to hair shaving sharp.

The saw is excellent and perfect for pruning jobs making traps whatever. It is also excellent for using with a fire steel being hardened steel and sharp backed. The trick is gripping it in a such a way as to avoid it closing on your fingers. I sometimes put some bark in my hand to protect it from the teeth.

The blade of the awl can also be used to strike a steel when not being used for making holes.

Over all a very useful high quality knife.

Just one issue which is the tip of the main blade which is virtually useless being so obtuse. It needs to be a bit pointier I think for finer work, the grind is also a bit iffy at the tip too. I am toying with the idea of grinding it into shape.

3 comments:

inactive blogger said...

I have several foresters in my massive (100+) SAK collection. I think it's a great woods knife. There's quite a few 111mm models by Victorinox that're just epic for the woods.

Perkunas said...

Hey, thats one of the best bare-bones woodsmans folding knives. I had oe too, and the only reason why i changed to the OH Trekker version, was that trekker has the phillips screwdriver on the backside,instead if the winne bottle opener. I just happen to screw more than sip wine ;). The one-hand opening function isnt big deal to me, its all the same, do i need to use to hands to open knife or one, and sometimes the OHT`s thumb hole is more in a way. Plus, your knife already comes with plain edge, i had to modify my partially serrated to plain.

Someboodeh said...

Best european hiking knife ever created.

:)