Fire by hand drill

Fire by hand drill

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Thomas Elpel

Hi,

I had the good fortune to exchange correspondence recently with Tom Elpel at Hollowtop school in Montana. I had intended on getting a few bits and pieces for my own collection and he was kind enough to send me a few dvds a book and a card game. Top guy.

I am very familiar with Toms work and really like his outlook on things. Like a lot of well known personalities in the survival\ primitive skills arena he has mostly concentrated on his own area of Montana and become an authority on surviving there. I am a great fan of this approach.

Survival skills are like walking, learn at home and they will be use full where ever you go.

To often people travel to learn something they could have learnt at home.

Personally I am on a journey to discover all I can about Ireland from a survival and bushcraft perspective. Skills learned here can be used anywhere and in fact due to our climate might even be easier(friction fire).

Tom has a book called Botany in a day which is based on his area primarily. However the majority of the plant families also grow in Ireland.

Anyway I am working my way through the material at the minute and I can say that I am very impressed with his knowledge and style. I especially like the stuff with his daughters as I have two daughters of my own.

So I will be posting a bit of a review very soon on the stuff I got and I hope you will read it!

Cheers
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments: