Fire by hand drill

Fire by hand drill

Tuesday 22 March 2011

Skinning a road kill squirrel

I was lucky to come across a very fresh squirrel which I decided to harvest.

I gutted it and was going to eat the legs, were the best meat is, however the meat had been tainted by a ruptured gut. so I gave it a miss this time.

The skin was fair game though.
A simple cut here and there and using the thumbs to separate the skin from the flesh I had it off in no time. I just pulled it off over the paws and head. I trimmed any bits that I didn't want and scraped excess flesh off. Then I poured salt all over it to dry it and save it for later tanning.

I quite enjoy it in that you can examine an animal up close and study its muscle structure and things.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

1 comment:

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

I'm looking forward to seeing what you make?

Great blog - i've added you to my blog roll

SBW