Fire by hand drill

Fire by hand drill

Saturday, 16 July 2011

Firesteel failure

Hi all,
I was out practising my wet weather fire lighting.
I made a load of feathersticks from hawthorn which was a bit punky and didn't split or feather well. Then I moved on to hazel which was much much better.
All split with my knife and a baton.
I then found the dry spot under a tree and cleared the earth and preped the fire site.
Got my firesteel out, made a preliminary strike with my knife spine and SNAP! The firesteel broke in two.
I still managed to use the little stub left on the handle but the switch went from easy to hard!
Lesson learned allways bring at least two fire sources.
I love experiences like this. Its were the best learning is done.
Go out and make mistakes and all sorts of magic will happen.
Cheers
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device
Post a Comment