Fire by hand drill

Fire by hand drill

Friday 28 January 2011

Weighted spring snare

 Hello,

I was out in the woods with a friend today and we decided to have some trapping practice while waiting for the coffee to boil. We made this trap for fun and would not use it as it is illegal.

It is a  snare using a pivot attached to a tree to lift it off the ground. Quite effective.

The trigger is two notches that fit together.


The heavy limb acts as a weight and keep the system under tension.

The noose here is paracord. It would be better to use wire.

2 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

I never tried snares, but many years ago I experimented with deadfalls and they work quite well if properly constructed. It was illegal here, too, but I was on my own place far from any other habitation, so I gave it a shot. I wouldn't try it where I live now.

Andrew Boe said...

i like to make them because they are quite a challenge to get right sometimes.

Like mechano I supose, suits the maker in me.